Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010: It s gone, get over it


At my age I’m beginning to pay closer attention to how quickly the days are passing. I don’t know why or even when I started doing this. It seems as though I never seem to get as much done in a day as I used to, but common sense tells me that can’t be true. The length of the days have not changed. Maybe how I use my time has changed. For one thing I never used to take the time to see how fast the days were passing.

Here we are at the end of another year, and just as it is at the end of every year everywhere you turn you hear someone going over the past years greatest, weirdest, stupidest, most unbelievable, most forgettable events of the year. I stopped believing there was any real good to come out of this exercise in futility. The past already happened and any re-telling of it is not going to bring any real meaning to our existence. And it certainly is not going change how we humans do things or treat each other in the future. Mankind will always strive to find ways to screw over each other any chance they get unless someone is watching over them very closely.

No. January 1 does not hold any special meaning as a ‘fresh’ restart than any other day of the year.

Let’s just move forward, try to keep our optimism in check about how others really view us, look out for those we love, and as we tear off each page of this years calendar just be thankful for our health and our friends. Without these what do we really have? Things are just things and can always be replaced, even if the replacement cost is greater.

Friends are priceless, hold on to them at all costs.

Happy New Year.

No comments: