Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Travel Scrabble


Have you seen this game? I get these in my inbox occasionally. I am instructed to change one letter in the word and pass it along to 10 friends. I always do pass them along, but I often wonder why is it always a four letter word? Is it feared that we won’t know enough five or six letter words to keep it going?

I don’t know, but I do find it fascinating to see the places these things go in their travels around the world. This current list started in Jan 2010 in California. After kicking around there it went to other states in the U.S. and then went to England, Norway, Sudan, South Africa, Israel, Scotland, on to Australia, New Zealand and back to the U.S. I see cities and towns I have never heard of which I find interesting.

Each person is supposed to put the date on it when it goes out, but some don’t. I suppose it’s could be equal to the percentage of people who just don’t follow instructions very well.

This current list started with the word ‘toot’ and is now ‘fire’. It could have gotten there in four tries but this list has well over one hundred words on it.

The rules are that you can change only one letter and cannot add letters. Looking over the list I see these rules have been broken several times. Anyway I suppose it is just a game so I’ll send my word along as ‘fore’.




No comments: